21.02.2013, 17:27, "Stelian Ionescu" <sione...@cddr.org>:
> On Thu, 2013-02-21 at 08:00 -0500, Faré wrote:
>
>>  On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Anton Vodonosov <avodono...@yandex.ru>
>> wrote:
>>>  Comparision for building with (setf asdf:*default-encoding* :utf-8):
>>>  http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-test-grid/asdf/asdf-diff-14.html
>>  Wow, it's all positive! Not that surprising, when you think about it.
>>
>>  Maybe I should just do it, and change the default.
>>  I've been warning people for a year already.
>
> Go ahead, please.

I also support making :utf-8 the default. It will only improve stability,
without any harm.

Even if someone wants to use some incomatible encoding (but I doubt such people
exist,
let's say probability of their existence is 0.01), they can always specify

   :defsystem-depends-on :asdf-encodings
   :encoding :koi8-r

That's 0.5 hour per ASDF system.

0.01 * 0.5 is nothing comparig to how many existing systems will build
reliably. In the current
situation when source file encoding is environment dependent, the defeloper is
often is just
unaware that hist ASDF system will not build on other computer.