On Aug 26, 2014, at 2:40 PM, Faré <fah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * a :source-registry entry can have a :cache entry (or be followed by
> a :cache entry? or have a .cache file equivalent?) that lists all
> relevant .asd files as a sorted list of relative unix-namestrings.
> * Some script can regenerate the cache from the registry.

Something of this kind -  A disk cache of *source-registry* - is my preference
de jour.

It’s trivial to dump the *source-registry* to a file and reload it.  My
hack here along those lines is almost nothing more than a list of
pathnames.

The code which builds the source registry fascinates my inner archeologist;
I wouldn’t want to write that in bash.

It is easier to explain to users that there is one disk cache, v.s. N.

> … re-running the script when you install, deinstall or update lisp code …

I often have very long running lisp processes. So I need to
do exactly that via asdf:clear-source-repository etc.

Who knows when to update/rebuild the disk cache?  Sometimes
only the developer.  But quicklisp knows when it (un)installes things.
I’d be tempted to update the disk cache when that happens.

 - ben

----
http://enthusiasm.cozy.org    tel:+1-781-791-3054  I forecast sunny weather!
"Communication rests on a foundation of mutual perspective-taking, the
mechanics of which are poorly understood."