Yes, these are good points, and that's why I have pushed an update to the manual. Please have a look at the "The defsystem grammar" ASDF manual page here:

https://www.common-lisp.net/project/asdf/asdf/The-defsystem-grammar.html#The-defsystem-grammar

Only the first four entries have changed.

Please also have a look at the subsections immediately below: 6.3.1, 6.3.2, and 6.3.3.

I would welcome any comments you (or anyone receiving this message -- the more the merrier!) have. The previous discussion was not as clear as it should have been.

The manual could definitely use an extensive overhaul, but this band-aid is well better than nothing.

Best regards,
Robert