1. output-translations is for output-files, not for input-files—except
of course that input-files often will in turn call output-files on a
previous operation that it depends on.

2. as to output-files, it is the outermost method that applies the
output translations—when the second value is NIL; the translations are
assumed to already have been applied or subsumed when the second value
is T.

Foolishness is rarely a matter of lack of intelligence or even lack of
information.  — John McCarthy