Congratulations for resurrecting ADG.

> I wonder why the appropriate dependency wasn't detected, but I'm not
> too worried about it. ADG is still useful even if it misses these.

There is no guarantee when the types defined by deftype are or aren't
going to be expanded and checked, unless you explicitly (eval-when
(:compile-toplevel :load-toplevel :execute) ... (typep my-value
my-type) ...)
Implementation-dependent optimization settings might affect type checks.

> There are various questionable aspects of that, which I'll point out,
> although they don't really bother me too much -- I'm not responsible
> for ADG.

You've been the most responsible person for ADG in the last 10 years.

> (1) I was able to get ADG working only with this particular
> combination of SBCL (2.1.6) and ASDF (3.1.5). There might be other
> workable combinations, however, some or all later versions of ASDF
> trigger errors in ADG.

It *should* work all the way to ASDF 3.2.1. For 3.3.0 and later,
you'll need to refactor things to support DEFINE-OP or probably, a way
to instrument OPERATE rather than modify either operation or component
classes.

> (3) It appears the handlers file is supposed to be loaded by ASDF,
> which, I guess, is supposed to scan the handlers directory, but
> something in that process didn't work, so it's loaded by hand.

The code in ADG hails from the ASDF 1 era. It might be possible to fix
the grovel-handlers code—but it's probably best to junk it.

> ADG constructs a new .asd file from the inferred dependencies (and
> writes it into the ASDF output cache -- maybe that could be mentioned
> in a readme or something) and I present it here as a kind of trophy.

Making ASDF work with the output from ADG on a thousand-file project
is what started me fixing significant ASDF bugs and ultimately
becoming ASDF maintainer and writing ASDF 2 and 3. Notably: ASDF 1
running time was cubic in the number of components, leading to minutes
to process the generated file, instead of a fraction of a second.

—♯ƒ • François-René Rideau • Co-Founder and President, MuKn.io
“Time is really the only capital that any human being has and the thing that
he can least afford to waste or lose.”  — Thomas A. Edison (1847–1931)