That's probably my bad for never completing and testing this feature.

IIRC, it was originally meant to ensure that the optimization settings
used by ASDF should not be affected by those used outside of it, nor
affect them, so as to avoid weird side-effects wherein the behavior of
a system depends on which other systems you did or did not build
before it, which was causing "interesting" effects at times.

No, I'm not volunteering to fix it—I haven't actively used CL in years
(apart from my stumpwm configuration and some non-shell scripts I
haven't rewritten in Gerbil Scheme yet).

“The real danger is that one day machines *will* become intelligent,
but we’ll lack the mental equipment to notice.”
                — Tiresias, in J.-P. Petit, “Run, Robot, Run”