Would it be that the images were created with the exact same
Dockerfile recipe in different environments? Docker could be doing the
caching wrong because it ignores the environment when caching. A
solution is to modify at least one byte in the Dockerfile—when I
generate Dockerfile's, I include a sha256 of the environmental
contents as a value to be printed while generating the image.

Then again, yours could be a completely different problem.

“Once upon a time, there was a person whose life was so good
there was no story to tell about it.”  — Foer