Oh, and as for binding variables around files, this has subtly different
meanings when compiling a file, loading its fasl or loading its source. And
if done wrong it can easily break fasl concatenation or linking on ecl and
mkcl, where you just can't bind around the loading of individual fasls,
whereas with source loading you can't not bind, so now the user is
responsible to make sure his code works both ways and the binding only
really matters at compile-time—which kind of is already a development
constraint, just unarticulated, unenforced, and undetected until a subtle
bug hits someone.

In the end you can only protect the developer from himself so much, when
you can't change the semantics of CL itself across twenty implementations
many unmaintained.