Hello Salim

Just a quick remark on your question -

going from XML to ASN.1 and vice versa

After studying the effects of going from a message set
specified in the header file format of ANSI C
to an ASN.1 specified set versus one specified in XML
I made the personal conclusion that

ASN.1 is a mature and consistent language to specify
message syntaxes.

XML-schema is still underway. While the actual instances
of messages in XML are straightforward their formal
specification is not. Efforts have been made to unify
the various xml-schema variants - but the results are
not promising - and worse - the resulting protocol specs
are bulky, badly structured and not logic.  Particularly I
fear the effects of having file paths in the xml-schema
headers to inherited XML defnitions. Mingling with file paths
and trying to put them in a standard format is - to me -
deemed to create trouble.

My personal conclusion is that I would prefer (given an
open standard is asked for with origins that speak to
internet technology lovers ) messages specified in XML
(given that bandwidth is not an issue) - but I would
suggest the message protocol to be specified in ASN.1.

Maybe a subset of ASN.1. All the "depreciated" parts of the
language makes it difficult for newcomers to master the
abstract language fast.

Comments wellcome !

Steen Oluf Karlsen
Søholtvej 6