Dear gentlemen/mandam,

As you all may have noticed, i have just started with ASN. Although at
the first sign i should look like hard to eat for the initiated, i am
sure it may get more easy as time pass by. Since i believe this list is
exactly for those like me, completely unfamiliar with ASN, i turn to you
in the hope i get some ligth.

Since the official specification seems a lot confusing, i read further
source of information and the advice was not to use GeneralString type.
My question is why?

Provided this basis, why is there some one writing protocol using this
type, i mean: what is the rationale behind this behavior?

Since i seen myself forced to comply with third party protocol
specifications; i am in need for encode/decode this type. I tried it
hard the ITU ASN specification and no useful has been given for this
type.

What are the numerical possible values for the C and G sets and what
about the values for space and delete? Should a value different from
those be allowed into the encoded octet array ?

Where may i obtain those value? What specification should i look for?
Where to download from?

Sorry if this questions are to stupid, but as i said, i am a complete
beginner, i.e., i have no maturity on this matters.

Thanks a lot for your time and cooperation.

best regards.