hc_andy wrote:

I've created a sample "test.asp" (code below)

Where did you put it? What are the permissions on the file? What happens if you copy it to test.html and replace the Write() call with plain old static text?

To get plesk/apache to display .asp pages, do
I have to enable something somewhere

Plesk being Plesk, it should just work once you've installed the module.

If it doesn't, it can be a mess to find out why not, because Plesk likes to create alternate copies of configuration files in odd locations which it uses instead of the standard copy, which it leaves in place just to confuse you. The only solution to this is to stop using Plesk and go old school. (I am speaking as one who is strongly considering changing hosting providers for this very reason.)

<%
$Response->Write("Hello, world!");
%>

The syntax of your test file is fine.  The problem lies elsewhere.