Are they also making sure that careless (or intentional) killings do not happen again? Are the guilty going to be punished? Justice needs to be served.

>The general also assured her that the army would give her a job, take care of the >education of their two children and build their house.

They better, and with dignity all along. And yes, this will not "even scratch the surface of the grief and loss" that Mahanta's wife and children have incurred.

Also, what about the families of the other 9 people that were killed?

My prayers are for the family of Ajit Mahanta, and all that were killed in Kakopathar.