I agree with Umesh-Ji on the storyline(?) in Fire. As far as I remember, it was a boring and meaningless picture - caring and affection between two human beings do not have to be anything like that, it can very well be platonic and the audience can still get the message - I mean, the husbands taking over women's lives. Two issues were put together without good enough reasons - physical attraction is a different issue altogether, rejection by the husband does not necessarily change a person to turn into a gay person. Anyway!

In order to portray a particular problem, like male dominance etc., in a particular society, it does not need to be connected needlessly with a "current & controversial topic"  (or it should totally be on that 'hot' topic itself - not with a silly connection between the two). And if that useless connection is made, then it is viewed by many, as a futile attempt to draw attention - from the movie-maker's side.

From: umesh sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Rajen Barua <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Himendra Thakur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ram Sarangapani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: assam@assamnet.org
Subject: Re: [Assam] Suffering of the Widows
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 20:38:58 +0100 (BST)

AIR would be a good title for her next movie - but it should not suggest solutions like those from a wind bag:)

Umesh

PS: My suggestion would be a movie on Meera Bai - who was a widow kicked out by her princely in-laws and devoted to Sri Krishna's worship  - world famous thru her songs

Rajen Barua <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is Deep Mehta right in portraying Hindu women as in "Fire" -- as lesbianism being the only solution - to their oppression.

An artist normally donot portray something as a solution, she may portray what may be the realty in her eyes. Everybody has a right to portray life the way they see it. Showing a solution is not necessarily an artist's duty. It is the duty of a social worker.

I don't understand why this anger against the artist Deepa Mehta.  Is it because that realty she projected shocked you? Or is it because you donot agree with that realty?

Mamony Roysom Goswami also had been portraying such realty through her various novels, either the plights of Hindu widows in Brindaban or Assamese Vaishnava Upper class widow in Assam. We should be grateful to these artists for bringing to focus these realty in our societies.

Similarly we need more artist to portray the realty of Suttee that is still going on in Bihar and other places.
Let us hope Deepa Mehta will pick up a such a story for her next movie and call it AIR.

RB