Dear Mr. Mohan,

  I particularly am very short of time nowadays to write a long mail. However,
I felt to reply to few of ur observations.

  I don't see anything bad of a SULFA tag. It is much better then a ULFA tag.
It is wrong to loathe the ULFA because people once supported them. They
came into existence because of people support. But time has diluted that
support.

ULFA lost that support because it has a wish list which is not the mandate
of the people.

  It is avery debatable issue which tag is better. It is unfortunate for the
people of Assam that they had to deal with these two tags. I do not agree on
why ULFA lost the mendate of the people of Assam. As per my opinion, its
because of the following reasons.

  1. Dictating terms to the people about what to do.
  2. Harrassment by armed forces.
  3. Extortion of money from some wealthy people specially from some of their
own.
  4. Disturbance in the otherwise peaceful atmosphere in Assam
  5. jeopardising normal life.

  However, these are the fallouts of any such revolution. Replay the movie with
cuts on the above & see how many support ULFA.

  Those small steps have cost many lives in the state. Assam is on the verge
of an economic disater. If ULFA is serious about its goal then it would
have an agenda that has people's mandate behind it. I do not see that
happening.

  Regarding your opinion about economic disaster, when was Assam not in that
state since independance? Till the time GOI sanctioned the requirements of
Assam as a grant, it was OK. As soons as they stopped the grants and allowed
the same as loan, Assam is always on the verge of an eco disaster.

  It will be most saddening if Assam is broken into small tribal states. I
would like to see Assam remain as a unified state comprising of all
original and neo assamese groups.

Even if it is saddening, it is bound to happen, whether there is ULFA or not.
It is simply not possible with the increase in population and with people
becomming aware of their rights (or rites?)

  While expressing your comments on my observations, don't expect me to be
punctual. :)

  Regards
  Mridul Bhuyan

"Mohan R. Palleti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

C'Da
I am sure I can not argue with the same passion that you have, but I will
attempt to speak on some issues......

> Hi Again Chitta:
>

>>Like sponsoring Assamese mountaineer for Mount Everest
> expedition etc. And as Mr. Mohan said they will be
> remembered as the greatest heroes of Assam forever.
> ThatÂ’s much better than life in exile/oblivion or the
> SULFA tag.
>

> BTW, what is so bad about the SULFA tag? One of
> the three of your wishes is to 'woo and sway' the
> 'misled' and then you decry SULFA.

I don't see anything bad of a SULFA tag. It is much better then a ULFA tag.
It is wrong to loathe the ULFA because people once supported them. They
came into existence because of people support. But time has diluted that
support.

ULFA lost that support because it has a wish list which is not the mandate
of the people.

>Xaap hoi
> khutisa aaru bez hoiw jaarisa, buisa? Can you
> have it both ways? On the one hand you wish for
> the ULFA to disappear and on the other you don't
> want them to be SULFAs; on the one hand you
> loathe them and question their sincerity and on
> the other you wish them to use their wealth to
> boost Assamese pride; on the one hand you
> supported the ULFA and expected them to rid you
> of the lungi-menace , corrupt officials and
> neighborhood bullies and on the other hand you
> chase them away with the might of the Indian army
> and then taunt them for fleeing and hiding with
> the enemy.

ULFA can no longer be able to get rid of the illegal bangladeshi
immigrants because they are in their stable now. From what I have been
reading on the net, they have now spawned several fundamentalists group
within the state. This and the fact that they are working hand in hand
with ISI takes away any laurels they might have ever had.

> Point I
> am driving home is that if you are serious about your
> goal, you would not be afraid of taking small steps.

Those small steps have cost many lives in the state. Assam is on the verge
of an economic disater. If ULFA is serious about its goal then it would
have an agenda that has people's mandate behind it. I do not see that
happening.

ULFA has however taken some good steps in the past few weeks by denouncing
certain mishappenings which they claim not to be a party to (Ms Rubi
Bhuyan's email.

> *** I don't know anything about these luminaries
> or their words of wisdom. But I do wonder about
> the WISDOM of having a separate Bodo state,
> without the means to sustain itself, forever
> looking at handouts from Dilli to sustain
> themselves, no doubt to lead a life of DEPENDENCY
> on the eternal benevolence of India. Sounds to
> me like words of wisdom devised by Dilli and
> delivered by a puppet on strings.

It will be most saddening if Assam is broken into small tribal states. I
would like to see Assam remain as a unified state comprising of all
original and neo assamese groups.

>>It is very difficult to be unbiased as well as
>>critical without unconsciously hating the object
>>of
>>your criticism.
>

> *** Is it some kind of an universal truth or a
> deep secret known only to highly qualified
> psychoanalysts
> or a revelation from personal experiences?
>
> First off, *I* have NO need to be unbiased, and
> thus to claim or even imply that I am. I am
> ALWAYS biased, to what I believe to be right or
> relatively more right than something else, if not
> in its entirety. Claims to unbiasedness in these
> matters is about as white a lie as one can
> imagine if not a bald-faced one. Imagine YOUR
> unbiasedness or all the others' in this forum as
> regards to the ULFA and Assam's disaffections!
>
> I think your confusion , as was with Mohan's, is
> with the meaning of the word 'hate'. It is
> understandable however. It is a foreign word and
> like so many other English words, desis have a
> lot of problem with their meaning and usage.
> Other confounding words to desis in these times
> are 'secluarism', 'democracy', 'terrorism',
> 'biased/unbiased' and so forth. But these are
> small problems to overcome. All it takes is the
> will and access to a halfway decent dictionary.

Maybe you wanted to hear a more bombastic and appropriate word to describe
the word hate. Whatever I might say, it will boil down to the same....

>>How come same critical analysis, we have not seen when comes to ULFA?
>
> *** For a number of reasons:
>
> A: Because you all do such a great job of
> it yourselves. My piling on will hardly register.
>
> B: Because if I join YOUR chorus, it will
> drag me down to the same level. I have no desire
> to be considered together and as equals
> with you folks on these matters.

??