CIC asks MHA to reveal Netaji death secrets
ibnlive.com Published on Thursday , July 05, 2007 at 20:12 in Nation section
New Delhi: The mystery surrounding Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose's
disappearance or death more than 60 years back may finally end as the Central
Information Commission (CIC) has directed the Union Home Ministry to furnish
the documents on Netaji's reported death in a plane crash in 1945 within three
months.
The decision came in response to an application by Sayantan Dasgupta, a
member of Delhi-based Mission Netaji, seeking information about documents
relied on by two inquiry commissions which concluded that Netaji had died in an
air crash in Taiwan.
Terming as 'facile hypothesis' the ministry's decision to deny the documents
on the ground that it could lead to possible unrest in the country, a full
bench of the CIC headed by Chief Information Commissioner Wajahat Habibullah
directed it to disclose the information within three months.
SHROUDED IN SECRECY: The disappearance or death of Subhash Chandra Bose over
60 years back is still a big secret.
"No study has been conducted nor any analysis made so far about the sensitive
nature of the documents and as such, it seems to be only a facile hypothesis
that disclosure of the documents would lead to a serious law-and-order problem
in the country, particularly in the state of West Bengal," the CIC said in its
20-page order.
Dasgupta had sought certified copies of all documents exhibited before the
Shah Nawaz Khan Committee (1956) and the Justice GD Khosla Commission
(1970-74), which probed Netaji's disappearance. However, the recent Mukherjee
Commission had contradicted their findings.
The commission, however, gave the home ministry the liberty to examine and
analyze which specific documents could prejudicially affect the country's
sovereignty and integrity if they were disclosed, and could thus be exempted
from disclosure.
The panel said in case it was decided that certain documents were not open
for disclosure, the ministry would have to give reasons for arriving at such a
decision before September 30.
Dasgupta had filed an application with the Union Home Ministry on June 22,
2006 in which he had sought certified copies of the documents relied on by the
two inquiry panels to arrive at the conclusion that Netaji had died in a plane
crash in 1945.
(With PTI inputs)
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/cic-asks-mha-to-reveal-netaji-death-secrets/44144-3.html
---------------------------------
Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel. _______________________________________________
assam mailing list
[email protected]
http://assamnet.org/mailman/listinfo/assam_assamnet.org