The following piece of news appeared in today's on-line edition of The Assam Tribune. KJD ------------------------------ Dhemaji remains cut-off GUWAHATI, July 13 – Assam's flood prone Dhemaji district today remained cut off from the rest of the country for the third day with flood waters inundating vast tracts of land, official sources said here, reports PTI. Access to the district by rail and road was cut off as flash floods marooned over 40,000 people of 120 villages following a breach in the embarkment of River Kumotia, a major tributary of the Brahmaputra.
A section of National Highway 52 near Samarajan has been washed away by flood waters, affecting road transport while rail tracks have been flooded disrupting rail traffic. The flood affected families have been sheltered in four relief camps set up by the district administration while helicopters of the Indian Airforce dropped food for the marooned people. The sources said that the state government was in close touch with the district administration and all possible relief would be provided to the affected people. Dhemaji is a flood-prone district but last year it had some relief due to scarcity of rainfall. There were also reports of Brahmaputra's water level was rising in most of the districts following heavy rainfall in the catchment areas during the last 48 hours, sources added.
_______________________________________________ assam mailing list [email protected] http://assamnet.org/mailman/listinfo/assam_assamnet.org
