http://www.fas.harvard.edu/%7Edance/
Check for Harvard  Dances - I saw Belly Dancing by real Turkish beauty, African 
boot dance, ballet, bhangra, Salsa and other SOuth American dances at Latin 
American fest. and various upteen other performances.

 Bhangra Nite USA College Washington DC
pics:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaipurschool/sets/72157602131022938/

umesh sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Hi,

It was the first time my first year at college that I entered a disco-light lit 
dance floor/hall. It was compulsory for all freshman to paricipate in the 
socials -with all hostel boys and the guests from all girl college DR (who cme 
and had food etc for free -we paid from our pocket) . That last time was in our 
hostel mess at Kirori Mal College Delhi (the same in which Mega Star Amitabh 
Bachchan stayed at while completing his only college  degree BSc-till he got a 
UK honorary doctorate awarded last year) and I danced with the maximum number 
of girls there - 6 - since they were trying to teach me dancing (Nina Mishra 
-girlfriend of seniro Sudipto  tried to teach me ball room dancing) - which I 
never learned completely - even my Havard classmate Kasia R. (from Poland) 
tried to teach me extra steps of ball room dancing on graduation eve fest in 
2005. I think I had stomped on her feet more than once. She is a competitive 
dancer as can be seen from  her Facebook profile.

This time it was different - I was a guest - not a student of GMU. In the 
beginning the mood was slow -girls were dancing in their groups, guys in 
another. Since I stay at a place where 500 Indian students stay - I did know a 
few of the girls and their guy friends . My journo roommate was in full swing 
-all steps all the time. I sat for atleast 30 minutes trying to realise where I 
was. It was strange to see a typical Indian like dance place (girls separate 
guys separate) in US. But I joined in with housemates just shaking my arms and 
swinging me feet a bit. Neither too enthu nor too shy. Later the mood picked up 
and about midnight girls were  opening up their protection rings to let 
strangers (like my journo housemate) join their dancing. Pics tomorrow. He - a 
Bengali - danced alongwith an American Sikh youth in blue mini turban and all 
the girls of the little group of our acquaintance. One girl I heard had trained 
under Shiamak Dawar - India's  best dance trainer -who
 trains Bollywood actors and Miss Universe aspirants and winners. Some Indian 
American girl didn't give lift to some other guys from India and showed them 
the finger -not nice ??

After 9-5 work on Saturday I was relaxing rather than showing energy -and took 
pics later (tomorrow). Surprisingly, unlike India discotheques (perhaps - I 
have never been inside one) which play Western songs - this one was laying 
Hindi and Punjabi songs - with music interspersed with Western Hip Hop etc. A 
projector was showing on large screen Indian music videos alongwith some 
western ones - no relation to the music being played - saw Crocodile Dundee 
Indian  version on it again - a bit.

It was the first time for me -at Harvard it seemed to costly to pay $12 for the 
India shows-anyway hadn't I seen enough Indians in India just a few months 
previously - now $5 was okay.

Photos later -taken with journo friends  cell phone camera at his  request.

Cheers.

Umesh

http://gmuisa.com/events
Bhangra Addiction
 Johnson Center Bistro
 George Mason University, Fairfax, VA 22033
 Saturday, September 22nd, 2007
 Info:
 The time is here for the hottest party of the year - Bhangra Addiction with DC 
hottest DJ - DJ Ace. Don’t miss out on an event that all your friends will be 
talking about. And, don’t forget to bring out the hottest outfit for the event 
that will be talked about all semester long.
 Parking:Free parking for student, faculty and staff with valid tags. Parking 
available in parking garages at  nominal prices
 Info Line: (202) 370 1427
 Event Begins at:  9:00 PM 
 Venue:
 Johson Center Bistro
 George Mason University
 4400 University  Drive,
 Fairfax, VA 22030
  
 Event sponsored by:
 Best Western
 Vira Designs 
   

Umesh Sharma

Washington D.C. 

1-202-215-4328 [Cell]

Ed.M. - International Education Policy
Harvard Graduate School of Education,
Harvard University,
Class of 2005

http://www.uknow.gse.harvard.edu/index.html (Edu info)

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/ (Management Info)




www.gse.harvard.edu/iep  (where the above 2 are used )




http://jaipurschool.bihu.in/          

---------------------------------
  For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For  Good this 
month. 


Umesh Sharma

Washington D.C. 

1-202-215-4328 [Cell]

Ed.M. - International Education Policy
Harvard Graduate School of Education,
Harvard University,
Class of 2005

http://www.uknow.gse.harvard.edu/index.html (Edu info)

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/ (Management Info)




www.gse.harvard.edu/iep  (where the above 2 are used )




http://jaipurschool.bihu.in/        

---------------------------------
  Yahoo! Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it 
now._______________________________________________
assam mailing list
[email protected]
http://assamnet.org/mailman/listinfo/assam_assamnet.org



Umesh Sharma

Washington D.C. 

1-202-215-4328 [Cell]

Ed.M. - International Education Policy
Harvard Graduate School of Education,
Harvard University,
Class of 2005

http://www.uknow.gse.harvard.edu/index.html (Edu info)

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/ (Management Info)




www.gse.harvard.edu/iep  (where the above 2 are used )




http://jaipurschool.bihu.in/
       
---------------------------------
 For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good this month.
_______________________________________________
assam mailing list
[email protected]
http://assamnet.org/mailman/listinfo/assam_assamnet.org

Reply via email to