- Lakshmana

Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:24:12 -0800From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
assam@assamnet.org; [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Re: [Assam] IIT-complex => MIT, Harvard
etc - an international resignation
The news story below should help dispel the myth that all IITians are
successful and a degree from an IIT makes one invincible. Even Umesh may take
his words back.
I saw the news in the TOI.
Dilip
=================================================Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Umesh:.........................   And that IIT envy and your years of
struggle to demolish it with a Harvard degree and really bury it with time in
the US, does not seem to be working too well. Do you want to know why? I will
be delighted to help out--just  let me know.c-da
This IITian lived on the footpath15 Jan 2007, 1319 hrs IST,TNN

PUNE: His dishevelled looks and state of penury would barely ensure a second
glance from passers-by near Sarasbaugh, where this 57-year-old man was seen
begging for alms for over a year now. It was his habit of reading English
newspapers on the footpath that caught the eye of a couple of roadside vendors.
Inquiries by vendors and morning walkers led to the shocking revelation about
the man’s identity as Prafulla Madhav Chiplunkar, grandson of great freedom
fighters Vishnushastri Chiplunkar and Vinayak Damodar Savarkar, and an IIT
Delhi graduate. Yes, life can be full of surprises and Prafulla’s story is an
example. While his illustrious lineage stands confirmed by close relatives, the
latter also revealed that addiction to liquor has played a part in driving
Prafulla to his current state. “Life took everything from me in 2002. My wife
Sureeporn and son Suprabhat were killed in a car accident in Thailand.
Following this incident, there was no need to earn money and there was no goal,
so I decided to start living on footpath,” Chiplunkar said. When asked about
his relatives in the city, Chiplunkar said, “I got married to a Thai girl and
faced the ire of my family members. I never saw them in my happy days, and I
can’t go to them in this adverse condition.” His present condition came to
light a few days ago, when two sunglass vendors observed that a clean shaven
man was living on footpath and reading English newspaper everyday. They
reported to some local groups, who informed Sanjay Dhongade of Dhankawadi
village. At present Sanjay and his wife Sangeeta are taking care of Chiplunkar.
About his maternal grandfather Vinayak Damodar Savarkar, Chiplunkar said, “I
have played in his lap and was with him for the first 16 years of my life.” But
he never saw his paternal grandfather Vishnu Shashtri Chiplunkar, he added.
Chiplunkar was born in Mumbai and studied in Delhi before joining IIT, Delhi.
“I did my chemical engineering degree from IIT, Delhi with B-I grade in 1971,”
he said adding that he got a job in a Gwalior-based company.