At 11:27 AM -0500 4/1/08, Alpana B. Sarangapani wrote:
>Great pictures, C'da. Thanks for sending them to us.
>
>While growing up, I never paid much attention to Modaar phul,
>especially after listening specifically to Dr. Bhupen Hazarika's
>song with the starting line - "Modaar-ore` phul henu pujaatu
>nelaage`". :)
>
>I have learnt to appreciate everything colorful now though, no
>matter what people have interpreted it to be. But I wouldn't use it
>in a puja again (if I know that it is a Modaar-phul!), but that's
>just me. :)

**** Thanks A.

You  will be, I am sure, forgiven by the gods :-). After all they
must be the ones who ordered man not to use 'modaar ful' in their
'puja'.  That is quite a break for 'modaar-ful' really. Because so
few other flowers survive in urban areas, because they are plucked
for worship, before man can enjoy them.

Anyway, does any one know what 'modaar-ful' did to fall from grace of
the gods? It is, I hope, not something like 'boraali-maas' troubles.

Finally, there is much to derive pleasure from the plant world
besides brightly colored flowers. Don't forget the lovely yellow
green leaves of early spring, or the delicate lace-like tapestry of
Krisnosura leaves against a clear blue sky, or the lance like bamboo
leaves holding glittery dew drops on their tips in wintry mornings,
or the silhouettes of arum leaves ( kosu paat) in the dusk on a ditch
standing  like the heads of a herd of alarmed animals, or the
graceful arching leaves of tall grasses mirroring on the still waters
of a pond --- one can go on and on.

Colors, textures, shapes, the constantly changing quality of light
-from dawn thru dusk and the accompanying shadows; fragrances,
patterns --- all contribute to creating the magic of the natural
world.
And they are all free. All we need is the desire and a conditioning
to enjoy them. And once we begin to enjoy them and value them, we can
begin to be good custodians of it.