Even if ASSAM has control over it's own finances, the money will still be
siphoned off - since the siphoning off is being done locally (I would
venture to suggest Assam stands 2nd in Corruption Index in the country!!).
If the local siphoning off were not there, the money coming from Delhi would
have been put to better use.

Prioritization of where to spend money is done based on inputs from local
leaders - who, in such a federal structure are supposed to define and
communicate the real needs of the people. The local leaders come from the
local community - so either they don't know or don't care.

In a situation, where Assam as a state has COMPLETE control over its
finances - what do you suggest? Change from the Congress/AGP party to
another grouping, let's say the current leaders of the liberation movements.
The way they currently run their "liberation movements", does not look like
they will meet the REAL needs of the people.

And if there were to be those people that come up to serve the REAL needs of
the people, why, on earth could they not do it under the current
dispensation. Some other "peoples" seem to be doing just fine without having
armies of liberation movement armies around.

I believe, in current circumstances and in retrospect of the last few
adventurous decades, it is an extremely lame arguement. No one seems to
suggest that getting the local government to work is a solution to many of
the problems. But then, one can't blame Hastinapur for one's own faults, any
longer.