The temple you might be talking about is temple of
Emerald Buddha in side the Grand Palace Complex. It is
known as 'Wat Phra Kaeo' in Thai. The boundary wall
has illustration of Ramayana.

In fact, the present Chakri Dynasty, to which the
present King belongs, claim to be descendants of 'Lord
Ram'. So they are also called King Rama (X). Wat Phra
Kaeo was built by King Rama I. The present king is
known as King Rama IX. There is a place called
Ayuthaya, about 50km from Bangkok. Thais claim that,
that is the birth place of Lord Ram.

I had chance of visiting the grand palace and Wat Phra
Kaeo numerous times.

Ganesh

--- Dilip/Dil Deka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> love for the people and Jesus prompted them to learn
> several Indian languages besides enabling them to
> translate the Bible into many languages of India.
>

> The missionaries acted with diligence and love. They
> soon realized that while Sanskrit is the mother
> language, the Indian vernaculars were yet to be
> fully developed as vehicles of learning. But Carey
> and his team had ambitious plans. As a first step,
> Carey not only learned Sanskrit, but also translated
> the Bible (New Testament) into Sanskrit in 1808. He
> hoped that after the translation of the Bible into
> Sanskrit, “the work could now be extended to all the
> languages”. >From Serampore, they travelled all over
> India. Eventually, Carey was instrumental in
> translating the Bible into Marathi, Hindi, Oriya,
> Punjabi, Assamese, and Gujarati. Carey also learned
> Telugu and Kannada to bring out the translations of
> the Bible in these languages. Later on, work on
> Pashto and Khasi were undertaken. On a rough
> estimate, we may say that Carey either worked or
> influenced heavily the translation of the Bible into
> as many as 35 languages.
>

> It, however, remained a great question whether these
> translations actually helped the spread of
> Christianity at all. Because there was also another
> school of thought that the translations were not
> only imperfect but distributing the translated
> copies of the Bible among the Hindus and Muslims
> often actually stopped the Hindus from wanting to
> know more about Jesus because they did not find
> anything therein that would make them to give up
> their religion in preference to Christianity. In
> fact, they found that the stories of Ramayana and
> the Mahabharata were much more exciting and romantic
> compared to the story of Jesus Christ. As such, they
> were not very successful in converting the Hindus
> and Muslims to the Christian faith in large numbers.
> In fact, Carey’s personal score on this count is
> next to nothing! That did not deter him an iota from
> finding other avenues of service to His Lord and to
> the people he came to serve.
>

> However, in the process, the missionaries achieved
> something in Indian regional languages, which was
> not achieved before. Their efforts have started the
> important process of modern prose writing in the
> vernacular languages. Although prose writing was not
> uncommon in the vernacular languages,  till then the
> traditional practice of saying profound things was
> through the medium of poetry. It is Carey, more than
> any other European scholar-missionary, who really
> showed to the natives of India that prose could be
> an effective medium. They chose the medium of prose
> for his translation much against the traditional
> practice of saying profound things through the
> medium of poetry. It was the necessity to preach the
> goodness of Jesus Christ to all, not just the
> educated or upper classes that made him to choose
> the medium of prose for the translation of the
=== message truncated ===>