C'da,

> But let me ask you this: Is it good for Assam, for its elections to
> be INFLUENCED by remote interests from elsewhere in India?

If it is democracy that we all yearn for, then why should influences
from outside the state bother you or anyone. This is of course
assuming that ONE believes that Assam is still an integral part of
India.

Do you think, that if there were only regional parties, that would not
employ the same tactics to divide people in some way or the other
(just as the national parties do) to win elections?

Yes, one would think regional parties would benefit the state,
specially when they are in power. Well, the AGP showed us how much the
state benefitted when they were in power.

I don't think local self-govt by itself solves problems. The make-up
of the parties, the people within, will make the difference - whether
they are AGP or the Congress.

Lets take the national parties. Whether its the Congress or UPA or
whatever, are the people up for elections in Assam representing these
parties NOT ASSAMESE?
Woudln't you think that they would have the best interests of Assam
(before party)?

This influence stuff that you are dishing out, Cda, boils down to
this: If the Assamese people let others influence they will be, if not
they won't.

And not such outside influences are all bad as you make it out to be.

>But can you show how ULFA is either  encouraging illegal migration,
or causing >polarizations in Assam?

Many press statements from the ULFA tells us that they are soft on
illegal immigration. And its not difficult to understand that
position. If Bangladesh was my mai-baap, I too would support illegals
coming into Assam or elsewhere.

I visualize at least two.

If one were to assume that ULFA has supporters in Assam, obviously
they are poles apart from those Assamese who would wish to remain
within India, and consider themselves  Indian.
ULFA may think that they were chosen by providence to represent all
Assamese, but the fact is there are Assamese who think and believe
they are Indian, in adition to being Assamese.

The other of course, is with illegal immigartion (which ULFA has not
vehemently opposed or taken a strong stand), a number of minority
groups are also starting to support illegal immigration. This of
course is polarizes an already polarized state.

--Ram