>Even India does. So, violence and
breaking laws is not the ONLY way out.

**** Show me an instance of Indian democracy's effectiveness or efficacy in
preventing all the violent uprisings the country has since 1947 peacefully?

Only the last week or so, the police brutalized Honda employees savagely. Is that how the justice system work in this great civilization?

India is one of the most violent nations on earth.In spite of the ceaseless propaganda touting the virtues of a peace loving country, its depredations over its weakest segments is unprecedented for a country that professes non-violence traditions and democratic behavior.

But IF they see that IT IS the only way out, then, of course, those

**** The laws are tools of the privileged,the powerful and the predatory to protect their interests. They are rarely to be found to protect the powerless and the disenfranchised.

who defy such laws oughtn't to cry foul when they are hunted down.

*** This is just a demonstration of the real India's rule of laws-- the propensity hunt down its own like game in an open season.

C'da, its a two-way traffic.

How is it a two way traffic Ram, when 13 reps, beholden to their bosses in Delhi, represent and protect the predatory policies enacted by a Lok Sabha of 400? Where are the checks and balances of democracy?

 >The GOI for all its faults can keep this festering for another 50
years without flinching,

*** We have noticed Ram. Shows India's commitments to the sanctity of human life--even its own.

can the ULFA? In the end the people lose.

*** That is exactly like the advise to rape victims to enjoy the act if it could not be prevented.

BTW, ULFA's telling Indian politicians to stay out of exploiting Assam elections is one of those things it can do, feeble as it might be, to keep the predators at bay. Too bad many of its intelligentsia cannot found to stand by it when it is being raped, overtly and insidiously.

At 2:39 PM -0500 8/4/05, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
 > Catch 22 here, isn't it?

It sure is.

 No wonder then the only alternative is to defy the laws and even
 resort to violent means.

Many countries will allow you to at least challenge the validity of
the Constitution in such cases. Even India does. So, violence and
breaking laws is not the ONLY way out.

But IF they see that IT IS the only way out, then, of course, those
who defy such laws oughtn't to cry foul when they are hunted down.
They know the rules of the game. The freedom they thus seek, if it
does come, comes at a high price, and they should be prepared for the
worst and hope for the best.

 But all this could have bee prevented, or at least diluted, when
 India saw what was brewing

Wonder what the US would do in such a situation? The US for all its
might and glory and democratic institution, puts down such insurgent
tendencies with swift and summary justice. They have no patience or do
not as a policy go soft on such groups.

 But India is unable and unwilling 25 years ago and is no different
 today.

C'da, its a two-way traffic. IMHO, the ULFA has to put down arms and
stop violence before the GOI will give it any serious hearing.

The GOI for all its faults can keep this festering for another 50
years without flinching, can the ULFA? In the end the people lose.

--Ram

On 8/4/05, Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 >  >Jugal, I really cannot think of one single democratic country that
 >will allow that in their constitution, a sedition clause. Does the US
 >allow that, the UK?

 Catch 22 here, isn't it?

 No wonder then the only alternative is to defy the laws and even
 resort to violent means.

 But all this could have bee prevented, or at least diluted, when
 India saw what was brewing . Even at this late date things could be
 done, reforms undertaken to address the causes of the insurgencies.
 > But India is unable and unwilling 25 years ago and is no different
 today.

 That is the difference.