Title: Re: [Assam] For Gardeners
Rajen:

Thanks for the kind words, but it is not an achievement to croak about :). It is an EXTREMELY easy thing to do, if you know some fundamentals of Botany and Horticulture.

I have successfully cross-bred the large pale-green Oxomiya 'lao' ( gourd) with Italian Marrow ( a long thin variety of 'lao') years back, and raise the hybrid in our garden every year. The hybrid is a long but club ( goda) like variety.

I don't know that the hybrid 'kerela' will be 'kerwn' resistant. It could be, but it could also be extremely vulnerable. I don't know enough about genetics to be able to predict what could be expected to result from the cross pollination. Yes, certain disease resistant varieties CAN BE produced by selective breeding/pollination. But it takes years of methodical work, of trial and error. There are laws of heredity which can predict certain characteristics of a cross bred plant or animal. My effort could be compared to shooting in the dark to see if anything will be hit. Good thing though is that it is highly unlikely to produce a 'kerela from hell'.

Thanks much for sharing your 'bogori aasar'. We too used it sparingly. But it is all gone now. I envy you Houstonians and Floridians and Americans from the South and West who have the climate to be able to grow Assam plants outdoors and can be sure they would survive the winter. Bogori would be hard to hybridize, because it really does not belong to the plum family at all. There are different strains of it in Assam, Bengal, north India etc. I am sure cross breeding with these variants are eminently possible.

Dil Deka has some Bhat Kerela plants. I am going to get me an 'aalu' ( tuber) from her next time, and see if I can cross breed 'tita kerela' with 'bhaat kerela'.They are both 'momordicas' and just might work.

I tried last year to  create a cross between a 'jika' and a 'bhwl', But I failed. I will try again this year when they start blooming in about a couple of weeks.

I am trying some other experiments too. But it is too early to talk about it. If something useful comes out of it, you will surely hear from me :-).