A new book on the growth and development of Assamese cinema is out.

"The first of its kind venture in English, the book will come out almost after a gap of 75 years of the release of first Assamese film, Joymoti, by the legendary Joytiprasad Agarwalla in 1935. "

Its hard to believe its been 75 years since Joymoti!

--Ram

Issue Date: Monday, August 22, 2005

A book on cinema, 75 yrs after Joymoti
- First chronicle in English

Aug. 21: The Gauhati Cine Club has commissioned a book to highlight the history, growth and development of Assamese cinema.

The first of its kind venture in English, the book will come out almost after a gap of 75 years of the release of first Assamese film, Joymoti, by the legendary Joytiprasad Agarwalla in 1935.

Entirely conceptualised and financed by Gauhati Cine Club, the book titled Assamese Cinema will hit the bookstalls by the year-end.

"Apart from documenting each and every detail about the industry, the book will be a reference book for outsiders, curious enough to know about the industry," said club's secretary, Kanak Chandra Kalita.

"Since there is a dearth of reference books on Assamese cinema in English, the project once completed will solve the problem."

The club has formed an editorial committee comprising film critics Manoj Borpujari and Munin Bayan. Writer Garima Kalita will be the associate editor.

The 200 page-book will devote four chapters to the critical analysis of the works and contributions of master craftsmen Jyotiprasad Agarwalla, Padum Barua, Bhabendranath Saikia and Jahnu Barua. A chapter on young filmmakers making their presence felt at national and international arena will be the highlight of the book.

Essays by prominent film critics of the state will discuss the problems of the industry and measures to be taken to make it a full-fledged industry.

"Good and authentic book on Assamese cinema in English has been long overdue," said Bidyut Chakraborty, national award filmmaker. "The initiate undertaken by Cine Club is laudable and we should all help them."

A chapter will also discuss how both healthy and viable commercial films can work as an anchor for the almost dying Assamese industry.

"Before starting on the project, we have talked and discussed about the kind of reading materials to be added in the book among the editorial members," said Bayan. "We have also done a survey where public opinion was sought before undertaking the project."

"We are planning to construct a permanent complex with an office building, an auditorium, a library and an archive for the benefit of cinema in the region," Kalita said.

Top