On Oct 8, 2010, at 00:56, robin wrote:

> [...]
I'm astonished.  But assuming that's true, and assuming further
that translator performance should be a consideration in the
design of programming languages, this impels the design of
languages in which trailing blanks are never significant.

But I remember examining a code-coverage trace of a pre-TSO/E
CLIST interpreter which appeared to do BALR; STM; GETMAIN; ...;
FREEMAIN; LM; BR 14 for each character in the source.  (I don't
know whether it had previously eliminated trailing blanks.)
I was motivated by the observed performance of a simple loop.

-- gil