On 12/20/2010 7:05 AM, Bodoh John Robert wrote:
Ed, Martin, John, Tony, et al,

What I am doing is creating macros that are used by any other
application.  I was hoping to avoid having the user of these
macros have to specify the technique needed to address symbols.

That sounds clutzy and it nowhere else in the assembler do I
have to tell the assembler that kind of detail.

At the time the macro is being used, the macro does not know
whether baseless coding is being used or not and whether or not
a symbol is within the current CSECT or not.  If the symbol is
within the current CSECT and code invoking the macro is using
baseless coding, the macro MUST use baseless instructions.

AsI understand it, the symbol is within the current CSECT,
baseless instructions can be used whether or not the invoking
code is using baseless or not.  Otherwise, based instructions
MUST be used.

I'm at a loss here. First, you reference symbols for one
of two reasons: 1) a target for a branch or execute instruction,
and 2) a location for an operand.

In case 1), you can always use the so-called baseless instructions;
in case 2), it depends on the operation you need to perform.

For example, loading an address of a location can always be done
by LARL - unless the item is at an odd address! If you need to
work with packed decimal data, you must use the xP instructions,
all of which require base / displacement.

What instructions are you thinking of where you would choose
between baseless and based?

I am surprised this not considered a hole in the assembler
and is not more pervasive than just for me and my simple case.
Do not other macros have the same problem?

John