-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Sam Siegel
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:30 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: ASM vs HLL (Was: CPU: ASSM vs ENTERPRISE COBOL - SOLVED!)

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 1:46 PM, McKown, John
<john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> wrote:
> [...]
assembler also tend to be better at algorithms" I don't say it is a causal
relationship, just that it seems that assembler people also tend to have
stronger skills at algorithms. Personal opinion based on "gut feel". Like
the perception that "geeks have poor social skills".

That makes sense in the IBM asm/cobol world.  I guess the Microsoft
analogy would be C programmer versus an visual basic programmer.
Where, in general, the C program would be thought of as having better
algorithm skills.

-----End Original Message-----

As a "COBOL bigot", I think it is probably true that "good assembler"
programmers OFTEN create "better performing" algorithms than "good COBOL
programmers".  This isn't universally true (and I don't think anyone has
claimed that it is).

What is EQUALLY true is that often (not always) a COBOL program is designed
to be "easily maintained" ("readability") and to be "patched" at 3am by
someone who has never seen the code.

Assembler is "readable" to Assembler programmers (just as COBOL is readable
to COBOL programmers).

HOWEVER, those same things that make for good (performing) Assembler
programs are often the "easiest" things to miss during regular or emergency
maintenance.  "Good" internal documentation can help, but COBOL's (claimed
whether proved or not) "self-documenting" nature does allow for "bad" but
"understandable" algorithms.