> In all the languages, Assembler, Cobol, PL/1 and REXX, we have a usage
> guide, that tells us how to "run" the source program, and a reference
> guide that rells us about the language elements.

Ken,

I think the problem is the initial concept of "what is assembler
language?". The machine instructions are not really "assembler
language". They are a hardware feature exploited by "assembler
language". The same thing with I-O and other macros. They are tools
created by a specific group to make it easier to do 'something' with
'machine instructions'.

The HLASM is really a programming language tool that lets you combine
the above items (macros and machine instructions) into a working
program. And it has it's own language. Things like labels, comments,
variables, etc.

I believe that IBM has correctly spit up the manuals. I think what you
really want is a 'POP User's Guide'. That is Appendix A in the POP.
Maybe it would be better to split it out of the base POP, but at least
we have it somewhere.

Personally, I think the POP has gotten too big. It's over 1400 pages and
growing. I also agree with an earlier poster that I had rather see less
combining of instructions as sometimes the exceptions get lost.

Tony Thigpen

PS, please consider the aspect that almost everyone now 'top post'.
(Yes, I know, early users advocated 'bottom post', but times have
changed and left that standard behind.)