On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 01:14:45 -0700, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

>The book "Computer Architecture: Concepts and Evolution" by
>Blaauw and Brooks has many descriptions on how instructions got
>to be the way they did.
>
>(Blaauw was the main designer of S/360...

I thought that Gene Amdahl was the principle architect of 360.
A search to check my facts seems to reveal that Amdahl, Blaauw
and Brooks led the design team.

>explain that EDIT is rarely used by COBOL

Really?  I learned how EDIT works in the early 1970's after
seeing it in the code generated by Cobol.  As I recall, Cobol
used it whenever formatted numeric output was needed.

--
Tom Marchant