On 1/9/2012 10:38 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
I have an Immodest Proposal. (I'll not leave that platform to John M.,
exclusively.) Define the future extension of the TOD clock as a signed binary
112-bit (111+sign) value. Rationale: given that some contracts and treaties
entered in the 19th century are likely still in effect, there would be more
utility in supporting a STCKE-compatible representation of dates in the 19th
century or somewhat before than of dates in the 204th century and later.

I like that idea! :-) Unfortunately, STCKE is old (it pre-dates z/Architecture).
An awful lot of code has been authored that treats the STCKE result as unsigned
based upon the description you quoted from PoOp. So, some might judge it to
already be too late for this sort of change.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc