I believe like John that written coding standards - without a respected and
accepted person who enforces these standards and is capable (and has time)
to talk, teach and explain to the coders why the standards are useful
etc.  -
do no good.

I once met a guy who had such a job. He has now retired. He was a kind of
"code inspector" in the company, some 100 developers. All PL/1 programs
had to pass his desk; he also supported the coders when there were errors
or programming problems. He was very esteemed and respected, although
he often did not accept the programs in the first place.

But I have the impression that there are not much persons like that in
today's
companies, and if so, such jobs would be considered non-productive
by management and probably eliminated.

Kind regards

Bernd