-----Original Message -----
 From: Rob van der Heij
 Sent: 05/23/2012 11:51 AM
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Tony Thigpen<t...@vse2pdf.com>  wrote:

Switch CLC operands works, but leaves the code messier.

CLC =C'OPEN ',COMMAND
CLC =C'CLOSE ',COMMAND
CLC =C'TERMINATE ',COMMAND
CLC =C'END ',COMMAND

vs:
CLC:2 COMMAND,=C'OPEN '
CLC:2 COMMAND,=C'CLOSE '
CLC:2 COMMAND,=C'TERMINATE '
CLC:2 COMMAND,=C'END '

Think you stretch it beyond where it breaks. You would not have the
CLC's without intervening tests on the CC so it does not look really
so bad...  And  I am fairly sure you normally would not want to CLC
the long field with a random section of the literal pool starting at
C'OPEN'  :-(

What I would want is CLC:2 to "stretch" the literals to the length of
the field, rather than having me to code it like
  CLC COMMAND,=CL(L'COMMAND)'OPEN'

Rob