 From: Tom Marchant <m42tom-ibmm...@yahoo.com>
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:19 PM
Subject: Re: Base registers

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 15:59:36 -0400, Scott Ford wrote:

>where can you find a good sample of baseless assembler code ?

Look for Ed Jaffe's SHARE presentation "Jumpify your code".

"Baseless" is not an accurate description, IMO.  You still need
base registers to reference data.  You can, however, use very few
base registers for your code simply by using relative branches
("jump").  There are one or two exceptions, depending upon your
hardware.  One is that there is no indexed relative branch.  It's
hard for me to imagine what such a thing would do anyway.  The
other is that EXRL was introduced (IIRC) on the z10.  The standard
EXecute instruction requires a base register.

--
Tom Marchant