Hi everyone,

I've been through the Fine Manual and the list archives, and according to my
perusal this is not possible, but I'll throw it out there to the brain trust
that is ASSEMBLER-LIST.

I'm working on some instruction substitution macros to catch any slips of
instructions like LLH into code that for one reason or another has to be
assembled with MACHINE(ZS-2), as well as better MACHINEs. In one program, we
are experimenting with TYPECHECK(REGISTER) by coding two sets of equates,
one GR32 and one GR64. Our one hitch is that one of these macros -
specifically one for LLH, uses one instruction that wants GR32 and one
instruction that wants GR64. (I can see why instructions like IILL want GR64
- I may not agree with it, but I can see the premise.)

Our basic register equates are defined such that I can determine the GR32
and GR64 equates from the register supplied. However, it would helpful to
know if HLASM has gone into its "more restrictive" type checking (their
words from Appendix N from the Programmer's Guide) to add this extra
processing, or, if not, don't bother. There's no nice &SYSOPT_ flag for
TYPECHECK, nor one saying "more restrictive" has kicked in.  I realize that
this may be difficult, nigh impossible, depending on where in the assembly
process that "more restrictive" kicks in.

To handle any register equates that don't conform to our naming standard
(something like CBBASE EQU R10), the oft-requested ability to SETA to an EQU
value inside a macro would be wonderful. But I'm not holding my breath on
that one.

Short of putting in a formal enhancement request for a &SYSOPT_ or other
flag (or one for TYPECHECK and one for "more restrictive" checking), or
waving at Sharuff and asking if he thinks this is a good idea, does anyone
have any ideas?

Cheers,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins
Roseville, CA, USA

German is essentially a form of assembly language consisting entirely of far
calls heavily accented with throaty guttural sounds. ---ilvi
French is essentially German with messed-up pronunciation and spelling.
--Robert B Wilson
English is essentially French converted to 7-bit ASCII.  ---Christophe Pierret
[for Alain LaBonté]