On 15 March 2013 14:30, Ed Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com> wrote:

> It seems to me the most obvious choice for "logical" extended mnemonics
> would have been to insert the letter 'L' as in Jxxx -> JLxxx. Had I
> written these macros years ago, I might have created (for example) JLO
> to branch on overflow (i.e., on 'carry' aka BC 5,xxx) after an ADD
> LOGICAL. Many developers might have already done this only to have it
> all stop working when the assembler added JLO to mean "jump long on
> overflow". So, you might have already silently broken existing macros.

A friend of mine with a decades-long 360 assembler background, but
also many years of Intel i86 assembler, was bitten badly by the
appearance of JLE in HLASM. Of course it's not Jump on Low or Equal
(as it would be on Intel), but Jump Long on Equal, which was subtly
enough different that he spent a long time debugging. This was without
local macros; he just wrote the JLE and it assembled without error,
but the DWIM flag was not on.

I have recently removed a slew of
BLE   OPSYN   BNH
from our code, in the hopes that it will discourage others from
writing JLE by analogy or as part of conversion.

Tony H.