I did a few timing test with MVCOS when it was introduced but it was so
shockingly slow that I never touched it again. Many times slower than any
construction based on MVCL or an executed MVC.

Might be worth to have another look at it to see if it is faster these days.

Fred!

Sent from my iPhone

> On 21 mei 2014, at 16:34, "Robert Ngan" <rn...@csc.com> wrote:
>
> For simple moves (i.e. non-padded) longer than 256 bytes and less than 4K,
> I've started using MVCOS with R00 set to zero.  It's said to be more
> expensive than MVC but does anyone know what the "break even" length is
> (approximately)?
> I'll probable continue using it regardless of the performance penalty since
> it's very simple to set up for a variable length move (for lengths longer
> than 4K, I'll stick with MVCL).
>
> I'd also be interested in a comparison between EX/MVC and MVCOS if anyone
> has that information.
>
> Robert Ngan
> CSC Financial Services Group
>
> IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> wrote on
> 2014/05/20 17:38:06:
>
>> From: Gerhard Postpischil <gerha...@charter.net>
>> To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>> Date: 2014/05/21 02:49
>> Subject: Re: MVCL
>> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>
>>> On 5/20/2014 11:44 PM, Robin Vowels wrote:
>>> Sounds like overkill.
>>> MVC with EX would be simpler.
>>
>> It depends very much on the requirement. For example, building a longer
>> string from several different sources; MVCL sets the destination address
>> and residual length after completion, allowing for simple chaining of
>> multiple moves. While EX/MVC can accomplish the same thing, they require
>> a little more arithmetic.
>>
>> Gerhard Postpischil
>> Bradford, Vermont
ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.