> When Dan Greiner used to present new hardware instructions at SHARE, he used
> to mention some had uses in micro/millicode.  He talked about instructions he
> had personally pushed > for because he could see performance benefits by
> using them in millicode.  Those of us attending couldn't think of any
> practical uses.
>
>  From my understanding of a  COBOL compiler presentation at SHARE, they cited
> performance benefits by using the new SIMD instructions to replace search
> instructions (SRST?),
> because the SIMD instructions were what the millicode used to implement the
> instruction.

Oh? I would love to see an example of how one can use one of those VECTOR FIND
or VECTOR STRING RANGE COMPARE instructions to do something that approaches
what SRST does. I must admit that I have no idea how that would work...

Fred!
ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.