Greg,

>> the data input was manual into a 20 byte character field including $
>> signs, commas, and periods (ex. $13,532,908.01)

i do not understand the word "manual" in this sentence (english is not
my native language) - I assume a meaning of "prepared"
"edited", "printed into", "manual entered with verification of format"
- something that made sure it is the way it must be.

If this is really the case then

>> .... convert to pack decimal for additional reporting

could be easy accomplished with this

first we eliminate the leading $ sign
   TR   SOURCE,TR_KILL_DOLLAR
   MVC  FIELD15,PATTERN
   TR   FIELD15,SOURCE-1
   PACK PACKED,FIELD15

PATTERN   DC   AL1(1,3,4,5,7,8,9,11,12,13,15,16,17,19,20)
FIELD15   DS   CL15  field without dollar,comma and no period
PACKED    DS   PL8

TR_KILL_DOLLAR   DC  256AL1(*-TR_KILL_DOLLAR)
          ORG    TR_KILL_DOLLAR+C'$'
          DC     C' '
          ORG

will prepare the data from the field SOURCE as packed decimal with
two decimals in fields PACKED.

even with extra overhead for a TR, I do believe it is the fastest
solution.