From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Monday, March 6, 2017 9:11 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: HLASM anomaly

On 2017-03-06, at 10:01, Charles Mills wrote:

> A detail, right? In AMODE 64 I could load X'FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0' into R1, ...

You could, but that's not the example I gave.  And you can't code the USING.
I'm disputing the operation not of the hardware but of the USING
instruction.

I don't know why a programmer, in AMODE 31, would access the CVT by:
        USING X'7FFFFFF0',R1
        L     R2,X'80000020'

in order to access the CVT, which works in HLASM but not in DASM
(yesterday).  Well, I suppose in a bizarre circumstance it saves a precious
base register.

-- gil