> Kirk wrote:

> C has always had support for fixed length strings (aka char[]).

Sorry if I was insulting. It was not intentional. I'm not sure how implied this
wasn't possible.

> Kirk wrote:
> XLC/C++ compiler will inline MVC, MOVS, etc inplace of memcpy() and
> strcpy().   And it knows how to write unrolled MVC loops for a run-time
> length argument variable.

C is a byte by byte language. Anything not hidden in a primitive or function
must be processed byte by byte. In primitives and functions, the compiler can
choose how to implement it. The point is C programmers must process byte by
byte unless they can find a function.

> Kirk
> Not to mention that with C++ you can use std::string or write your own with
> whatever implementation you want.

This is another method to hide byte oriented functionality.

Regards, Jon.