From: "IBM Mainframe Assembler List" <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
To:<ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent:Fri, 2 Feb 2018 00:49:57 -0600
Subject:Re: Pascal (was : comparison C vs HLASM)

<00000014e0e4a59b-dmarc-requ...@listserv.uga.edu>
 >> Sent: Friday, February 02, 2018 2:16 AM
 >

 >> On 2018-02-01, at 06:55:29, Paul Raulerson wrote:
 >>
 >>> It also explains one of the reasons why strings in C are null
terminated. There were two modes of thought back in those days,
‘Pascal’ strings, which have the string size encoded in a single
byte at the start of the string, and ‘C’ strings, which terminate
a string with a NULL.

 >>> Pascal string length was obviously limited by the max value of a
byte ...

 >>> Who made that moronic "single byte" rule!?
 >
 >> The implementer.

 > A few very smart implementors actually. :)

 >> o It should be two pointers, first byte and last byte + 1.
 >
 > The address of the start of the string and the length are probably
better.

 In machines with 4K of memory or less?

Indeed.  As we have said, substrings require only a pointer (an
address)
and a length (one or two bytes), resulting in considerable saving of
memory.

> Well, a PDP-7 had 18bit word lengths, and that 4K was in words.
> I think it was about $70K for a PDP-7 in those days,

The DEUCE, with 384 words of memory, ran ALGOL.
The drum was 8192 words.

> wire wrapped beastie that it was. Engineering changes were made with
wire wrap tools.

 > And yet, a full multi-user UNIX ran on the thing, with a C compiler
that could compile itself. That’s amazing…

 >>> o And having the length contiguous meant that substrings
 >>> could not be created without copying.
 >
 >> Indeed.
 >
 >> It's startling how difficult it can be to shift paradigm
 >> beyond "two modes of thought" and invent another.
 >
 >> BTW, those "'Pascal' strings" were not in Wirth's specification
 >> of Pascal; they came later with, e.g. UCSD.

 > Actually - they were there on ancient old C/PM machines. PIP PIP
and all that.