I once implemented some one else's portable asn.1 encoder/decoder on VM/CMS. It
was written in in Fortran 77 because we had that available but did not have
"C".
As we wanted a portable ASN.1 encoder/decoder and it was for UK Universities,
all of whom had FORTRAN 77 then Fortran 77 was the best (or indeed only
possible) language for the project....

> Rob

Dave