From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu> on behalf
of Bernd Oppolzer <bernd.oppol...@t-online.de>
Sent: Thursday, February 8, 2018 4:02 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu
Subject: Re: Fair comparison C vs HLASM

All the instructions mentioned below have their lengths determined at
compile
time. String instructions (and strings in the sense of this thread) are
strings
with lengths varying at run time. This can be done on the mainframe
using EX
or MVCL, CLCL etc ... but not with the instructions mentioned below.

In my post, I really meant instructions to support null-terminated strings
at a hardware level, which were introduced into z-Arch a long time AFTER the
first commercially available C compiler (C/370) was introduced by IBM and
widely used by customers. I worked with C/370 on the mainframe starting
in the early 1990s, and the string instructions in z/Arch came about 10
years
later, IIRC. I may be wrong with the years, but the 10 years delay
should be
correct ...

Kind regards

Bernd