From: "Charles Mills" <charl...@mcn.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2018 1:12 AM

We were all very conscious of "economy in all things programming" in those
days. A label occupied a physical punched card or 80 bytes of precious DASD
space.

DASD space was not precious.  Nor were cards (cheap as chips).
And the LP was fairly fast.

Medium-sized (by the standards of those days) assemblies took minutes
and produced large paper listings.

Naturally, that's assembler.

A label would consume two lines of
printout, one for the label and one for the xref (and one more if the macro
were local in the source file). I can easily envision someone saying "why
did you code that label??? You didn't need to do that! You could have just
coded *+12"

There was none of that, even in earlier days, when an assembly took
up to 15 minutes.

One extra card at 200 cpm was nothing.

---