Robert Ngan writes:
> Not sure why no one has mentioned the COMPARE AND TRAP type instructions, in
> most(?) cases they'll do the test and force the abend when required.

If you have to write product code that still works for CMS users
in ESA mode, then COMPARE AND TRAP is not an option.  It needs
z10 or above, which I think is part of the architectural level
set required by z/OS 2.2 so if you are on that level or above it
is safe to use.

> My only gripe is there's no extended mnemonic for an unconditional TRAP when
> there's no appropriate "compare" (e.g. I need to do a TM).

I've never used it myself, but I think the simplest way to code
an unconditional trap is to use CRTE 0,0 or similar, using two
references to the same register which are certain to compare
equal.

Jonathan Scott, HLASM
IBM Hursley, UK