I’’m just a humble academic so I hesitate to weigh in.  I trained assembler
programmers for one large credit card processing company for many years and
their standard was to use EQU * as the target of all branches, mainly so new
lines could be added easily. I’ve never had an odd address created accidentally
using this technique, but it’s also the case that the assembler will warn you
in cases where you do have an unfavorable address. I’m in the process of
revising many years of teaching material into book format, so your opinions on
this matter to me.  Using EQU for targets would seem to be a stylistic point on
which reasonable people could disagree, but perhaps I’m wrong.