On 2020-06-05 10:04, Seymour J Metz wrote:
Clock cycle isn't everything.

Clock cycle WAS everything then.

Clock cycle of Pilot ACE was around 4 times faster than
other machines of the 1950s, and hence a similar factor
faster.

"An addition could take anywhere from 64
microseconds to 1024 microseconds. "

Pilot ACE and DEUCE addition took 32 microseconds.
Double-length addition was 64 microseconds.
Adding a single length number to a double-length
number took 32 microseconds (the single-precision
number was automatically sign extended to 64 bits).

For array operations, addition could take up
to 1056 microseconds for up to 33 numbers.

I could find information on the Pilot ACE and
MOSAIC, but not on the full ACE.