From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf
of Tony Thigpen <t...@vse2pdf.com>
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2020 6:23 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: how to return? Let's see how good you are.

I have been reading all the "that is not a good way to do it" posts, so
here it the challenge to all those nay-sayers.

It's time to 'put-up' or 'shut-up'.

Under the following conditions, just how would you code it?

Rules:

1) You are coding the entry and exit for a called subroutine. For this
exercise, you will not be the main program called by a JCL EXEC card.
2) The way the caller is calling you can not be regulated.
3) The caller may be Assembler or Cobol.
4) Existing older code, that can not be changed, calls using a BALR.
5) Existing newer code calls using BASSM. And, it can not be changed.
6) It is known that some programs calling via BALR will call in 31bit.
7) It is know that some programs calling via BALR will call in 24bit.
8) Your code needs to perform some functions that require 31bit.
9) You must return to the caller is such a way that the callers mode
prior to the call and after the call is the same.
10) 64bit support is not required.
11) You must be callable from both a non-LE environment and an LE
environment.
12) LE support is not only not required, you just can't use it.
13) You must be LE-tolerant is. If you are called by LE you can't mess
up the LE environment, but you don't have to exploit it.
14) And to make it even more challenging, the code *must* run in a older
processor that does not support branch-retaliative nor BAKR/PR
instructions. Yes, this code is from a real-live vendor product that is
still being used by customers on machines that don't support those
instructions.

And, before you complain, this is *exactly* the requirements that the
original coder was facing, and still faces with this code.

The requirements of this challenge is that you show everybody on the
list the code you would write for these requirements.

Tony Thigpen