On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 19:44:00 -0500 Tony Harminc <t...@harminc.com> wrote:

:>On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 at 18:12, Steve Smith <sasd...@gmail.com> wrote:

:>> The instruction is IAC, in PoOp Chapter 10.

:>Hmmph... I never noticed that one. I use EPSW (generally R0,0) and the
:>appropriate TMLx instruction(s) to examine whichever bits I'm
:>interested in. IAC has the advantage of setting the condition code
:>directly based on the AS bits, but EPSW is more general, and is not a
:>semi-privileged instruction subject to extraction-authority control
:>(though I doubt that matters in most z/OS environments).

IAC also provides the value needed for SAC, should you wish to restore it.

It would have been nice if there was also an IAM/SAM set rather than needing
to use the TAM condition code to decide which variant of SAM to issue.

http://www.dissensoftware.com